Monday, January 18, 2010

FRANCE TODAY features Krewe de Jeanne d'Arc





France Today writer, Johanna Safar, contacted me last week after a local French diplomat recommended the Joan of Arc parade as an example of "current French influences on Mardi Gras traditions".


I was mortified, of course, to admit to her that I don't speak French, but she was extremely gracious. Luckily, her English was excellent...and my husband could verbally translate this article for me! (I am now more determined than ever to sign up for an Alliance Francaise class in the New Year!)


We are fortunate that The Krewe de Jeanne d'Arc has been embraced by French citizens, leaders, and writers locally (we are members of the Council of French Societies); nationally (The French Embassy in D.C. has twice featured us in their newsletter "News from France") and internationally (with this feature article). By creating these alliances, we are ensuring that celebrating Joan also means celebrating French culture and New Orleans' French heritage.


Youpee!!